Lesson 3 of 5
CPMC SG 3 -How to set a goal you can achieve
We know it can be difficult to tick off your goals. We have some sure fire tips and tricks that will go a long way to helping you achieve your goals now and in the future.
- Set a goal that motivates you – “It Matters”.
- Make your goals SMART.
- Specific – What will you do?
- Measurable – What measure will you use to demonstrate progress (quality and numbers)?
- Attainable – Can it be achieved in the current circumstances, if no is there something you can modify to at least continue progress?
- Relevant – Is the goal appropriate, given your current circumstances?
- Time bound – when do you expect to achieve your goal?
- Put resolutions in writing/tell someone/engender support from others or services.
- Visualise your success.
- Break your goal into small steps, to ensure a sense of progress towards your goal.
- Manage negative self-talk – tell yourself you have a well worked out plan, you will review it and change if necessary.
- Identify and mitigate risks to ensure that you have addressed potential issues that may get in the way of your progress.
- Be adaptive and continue to modify your plan.
- Be kind to yourself, if you feel you are not meeting your expectations, determine why and what you need to do to feel successful.
- Celebrate and communication your successes, remembering to acknowledge those that have supported you so that you build up a “coalition of mutual support” for future ventures.